Saturday, January 29, 2011

I. Love. Teaching.

After a grueling 9pm-2am shift last night (okay, it wasn't that bad--I got to ride the new Bronco Delivery tricycles, one of which I think I broke, but let's not talk about that), I wasn't too excited to wake up at 8:30am on a Saturday to help fourth graders with their writing. Regardless, this morning, grande White Chocolate Americano w/a splash of Chai in hand, I picked up my fellow tutoring folks and drove to an elementary school in downtown San Jose where we were to tutor for a couple hours.

I LOVED IT. Okay, it's not like I haven't helped gradeschoolers with their homework before, but this was different. The Saturday academies where we tutor focus specifically on helping kids with the writing portion of those silly, state-mandated standardized tests that we all had to take when we were younger (no idea what the actual name of the test is). The assignment was for the children to create a story about spending a day with anyone they would like. Ideal companions were anyone from Justin Bieber (yeah...kids these days) to grandparents to famous soccer players. It was so cool, watching the gears turn in their heads and witnessing those brilliant moments when they would think of the perfect sentence to write down. I love it. I cannot think of a job more rewarding and fulfilling for me than teaching. To be able to witness that every day? So. Cool.

I also never thought I would want to work in Elementary Education--don't get me wrong, I still prefer Secondary Education to that--but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I didn't think I worked well with kids, but honestly, accepting that thought was my first mistake. It's not a matter of working with kids, it's a matter of working with people. Younger, shorter people--who are much brighter and more capable than most people give them credit for.

I can't wait to have my own classroom. I hope I'll be blessed enough to find a job at a school where the students matter, where learning matters, where teaching matters. I am so excited! Five hours of sleep and all, my heart and mind feel incredibly restless! I can't wait to teach!

1 comment:

Andrea Nissley said...

Come teach my English class for me!
I think you'd love it...and they'd LOVE you!
I'm so excited that you know what you want to do and that it gets you so excited!!!
Rock on <3