Saturday, May 28, 2011

yawning - i'm wide awake, it's morning

I cannot wait for that open stretch of sky
hanging heavy, hanging bright
buildings tall scraping clouds
endless hills rolling down
my mountainous home
To curl up in an overstuffed forest,
listening to the car-sounds crackle
while city lights twinkle merrily
I am home-healthy -
drinking rainwater slipping down windowpanes
loud open-mic close-mic checking
bustling footsteps soundless on wet pavement hardly
waiting, hardly alone
always the singular, it, am, I
I cannot wait for that open stretch of sky
soaring hand-planes out car windows
rap music rap lyrics wrapped candy bars
dribbled concrete littered happy
jungled, hyper caffeinated
red lights and late nights
I cannot wait, I cannot wait, I cannot wait.

But part of me stays here, with you
with our eye-conversations and night-games,
staying in flannel, laughing hazelnut by the spoonful
entertaining footwear and felines,
(and footwear and felines, and footwear and felines)
I stay here with you
foreign films and guitars, strumming, humming
dancing spaces apart held together
by arm-wings and closed lids
humming
I stay here with you
sun-warmed hearts, books in tow
love-language heard through the stars
bodies in grass, elbows dirty
smudged faces sighing smiling
I am always losing gaining time
staying still moving forward
laughing quietly at the night -

I cannot wait, but I will stay
and we will leave,
"this too, shall pass."

No comments: