Tuesday, August 24, 2010

how say "I will remember?"

We are hosting two exchange students from Japan, and one exchange student from Korea. Today one of them asked me, "What is the meaning of the word 'miss,' like 'I miss you'?"

I tried to explain with hand gestures and what I'm sure came off as mentally disturbed facial expressions, and was shocked at how inadequate I was to explain its definition.

"Like, with your head (point) you remember, and your heart (clutch) you are hurting..."
"Err...like when you think, 'I wish he was here with me' or 'I wish I was home'"
---- "Joanne, what is the meaning of word 'wish'?"
(Crap).
"Like....dream. Hope. Uhh.. crap."
"Like...I want my home to be here. I want my love to be here."
---- "Oh, thank you Joanne. I think I understand. Now, what are you studying in college?"
"English and Philosophy."
---- "What is 'philosophy'?"

(to be continued.)

It's been quite the day. :)

No comments: